Minutes from the January 9 Cameron Parent Advisory Council meting are now posted on the Minutes & Agendas page. Review them to see what the PAC has planned for the spring!
All parents are members of the PAC, and are welcome at the monthly meetings. Join us on Tuesday, February 13 (7:00pm in the school staff room) for our next meeting. Come find out how you can help with upcoming fundraisers, events, and decision-making to benefit Cameron students!
All parents are invited to the Cameron Parent Advisory Council meeting on Tuesday, November 14 at 7:00pm in the school staff room. Please consider attending to help us plan events, fundraising, and purchases.
The agenda is now available on the Minutes & Agendas page.
Please join us for the October PAC meeting at 7:00pm on Tuesday, October 10 to find out about the Vancity Youth Credit Union at Cameron from special guest Grace Yule, Vancity’s Youth Credit Union Coordinator.
The meeting agenda is available on the Minutes & Agendas page.
The agenda for our last meeting of the year, on Tuesday, June 13 (7:00-9:00pm), is now available on the Minutes & Agendas page. Minutes from the May 11 AGM are also available.
All parents are members of the PAC and are welcome to join us on June 13 to find out what your Parent Advisory Council accomplished this year, and what we have planned for next year – and to bring us your ideas!
The Agenda for this Thursday’s AGM is now available on the Minutes & Agendas page.
Please join us this Thursday for a review of our accomplishments this year, including events, fundraisers, and purchases for the school–plus a presentation on Anxiety in Children by Registered Clinical Counsellor Liliana Cortes. And finally, please consider putting your name forward for an executive position in our annual election, which will also be held at the AGM.
The event is FREE but you must register through Eventbrite.
Our PAC Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday, May 11 (7:00-9:00pm) in the school library. All parents are welcome!
The event is free, but you must register through Eventbrite.
PAC ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING AGENDA
- Presentation: Anxiety in Children by Liliana Cortes, MA, RCC – Come learn what anxiety is, how to recognize it, and how it can affect your child’s life and your family life, as well as how to support your child and how to determine if you need to seek help. Liliana will also have time to take a few questions.
- Parent Advisory Council Annual General Meeting:
- PAC Year in Review: We will highlight the events we hosted this year, the fundraising and other projects we took on, and the major purchases we were able to make for the school on behalf of parents.
- PAC Executive Election: Please consider putting your name forward at the AGM for a position on the 2017-2018 PAC executive! See below for position descriptions, and contact email@example.com with any questions.
PARENT POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2017-2018
Are you good with words? Numbers? People? Technology? We would love for you to bring those skills to the Parent Advisory Council! Please consider putting your name forward for election to an executive position. Not all of these positions are very time-consuming – there are a variety of levels of commitment, and many positions can be shared by 2 people.
- The Chairperson presides at all meetings, prepares and distributes the agenda, and is the official spokesperson for the PAC.
- The Vice-Chairperson is familiar with the Chairperson’s responsibilities and will assume their responsibilities in case of absence, presides over the Annual General Meeting, and accepts other duties as required.
- The Secretary records minutes of all meetings, handles correspondence, and keeps all PAC records.
- The Treasurer ensures PAC funds are properly accounted for, maintains financial records and books of account, reports on funds received and spent at each meeting, and drafts the annual budget.
- The District Parent Advisory Council (DPAC) Representative attends all Burnaby DPAC meetings to represent and vote on behalf of the PAC, reports to the executive and membership about DPAC matters, and liaises with other parents and DPAC Representatives.
- The Fundraising Coordinator develops a fundraising plan for the year, organizes fundraising events and campaigns, works with the treasurer to ensure incoming funds are handled appropriately, and reports on fundraising plans and amounts raised at each meeting.
- The Social Coordinator organizes social (non-fundraising) events for the school community, plans events, reports on event planning at each meeting, and recruits and communicates with parent volunteers.
- Members-at-Large serve in a capacity determined by the PAC. At the moment we have two member-at-large positions: Special Projects Coordinator (responsible for the recent Greening Project and grant applications for similar projects) and Emergency Preparedness Coordinator (responsible for ensuring emergency supplies are stocked and communicating with staff about these resources). We would also like to add the position of Communications Coordinator (responsible for maintaining the PAC website (www.cameronpac.ca), the monthly PAC newsletter, our bulletin board in the school’s front hallway, and other promotion of PAC activities).
Parents are invited to a SOGI (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity) presentation by Sarah Larsen, District SOGI Support Teacher (and Cameron classroom teacher) on Wednesday, May 17, hosted by the Stoney Creek Parent Advisory Council. Sarah will discuss the federal, provincial, and district context and support for SOGI education and explain SOGI-related terminology. She will bring handouts and share resources, and there will also be time for questions.
We are excited to bring Liliana Cortes, Registered Clinical Counsellor, to speak to parents about anxiety in children at our AGM on Thursday, May 11 at 7:00 pm! (Please note this date has changed from Tuesday, May 9, due to the B.C. provincial election taking place on that day.)
Anxiety is a leading mental health issue among Canadian children, and it can be difficult for parents to find information and help. Please join us as Liliana discusses what anxiety is, how to recognize it, and how it can affect your child’s life and your family life. She will also explain what you can do to support your child, and how to determine if you need help.
Liliana’s presentation will take place from 7:00 to 8:00pm, and will be followed by our PAC Annual General Meeting. You’ll find out about the events, fundraising, and purchases for the school your PAC representatives have achieved this year, and our plans for next year. We will also hold our annual election for PAC executive positions, so if you’re interested in getting involved, this is a fantastic way to find out about the opportunities!
The event is FREE but you must register here. We are able to provide childcare during this event if needed. If you need childcare, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 5 stating the number of children you need care for and their ages.
At the February 20 DPAC meeting, the School District’s SOGI (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity) Committee presented to parents an overview of the work they do in elementary and secondary schools in Burnaby. The committee provided a list of resources for parents and students:
Ivan Coyote’s Ted Tx: We All Need a Safe Place to Pee – 2015 (12 min) *Canadian
In a poetically rhythmic TEDx talk, award winning Vancouver author Ivan Coyote highlights the need for gender neutral washrooms in all public places
Coming Out to Immigrant Parents – 2015 (4 min 30)
Young adults share their coming out stories. They share their feeling and fears: “This part of me is different…and what if it changes the way my family sees me…?”
Moms for Transgender Equality – 2015 (4 min) Human Right Campaign
Youtube video in which moms speak up for transgender equality. They are the voice of countless parents of transgender and gender-expansive youth, pledging to make the world safer for their children.
Local organizations that provide information and/or presentations for students or parents:
Out In Schools – http://outinschoolscom/
Qmunity – http://qmunity.ca/pridespeaks/
BCTF Workshops – http://bctf.ca/pd/workshops.aspx?id=233053
The agenda for the PAC meeting on Tuesday, January 10 is now available on the Minutes & Agendas page. All parents/guardians of Cameron students are members of the Parent Advisory Council, and all are welcome and encouraged to attend the monthly meetings. Meetings are held from 6:45-8:45pm in the school staff room.
See you there!